Feeds:
Posts
Comments

Archive for the ‘images’ Category

Hereby some images of last weeks class.

-Plant DNA
-My DNA
-Nice contamination
-Modified butterfly wing
-The butterfly itself (has some really nice detail when zoomed in!)

Greetings!

Wim

Read Full Post »

Hello!

As I promised in class, here is the ashera cat and the website/company that sell it. Go to hypoallergenic pets to see the how to make an allergen free pet!

http://www.lifestylepets.com/

Read Full Post »

 

Read Full Post »

Plant experiment

Oops… This happened to the plant experiment, after I left them in the sun… without water… Luckely this was a ‘home experiment’ because who knows which plant-activists I might have got after me when it was done in the lab ; )

Read Full Post »

green jewelry

plant results after 2 weeks. from left to right: from little finger to thumb: Alfalfa, “tuinkers”, sugar pees, dwarf beans , Sun flowers.

Read Full Post »

Not much result from the flower seeds yet. These are pictures of when we were sowing the seeds in class.

Arthur

Read Full Post »

Frederiques plants

Here are some pictures of my plant experiment after one week.  All the seeds  with the cotton in the glove have grown. While some other seeds that had less cotton, but more growth factors have not (yet) grown that well.

How do I make the pictures visible? When I use upload I don’t see how I can put my pictures with this post.

Read Full Post »

Read Full Post »

Hereby some photographs and movies made during lesson 4.

Drosophila experiment:
We used yeast to make a drawing inside of a petri dish, and released drosophila (fruit flies) inside of the dish. We could choose between hungry flies (males and females would likely start eating) or well fed flies (probably only the females would start eating). I chose the hungry ones, and recorded the movements of the flies for one hour and twenty minutes. The playback speed of the movie is increased by both twenty times and a hundred times.

.

I also included two macro shots of the flies.

.

Altering the wing pattern of live butterflies:
We also got the chance to try to change the wing pattern of a Bicyclus anynana butterfly ourselves, after reading about it in Marta’s paper “The Artificial Natural: Manipulating Butterfly Wing Patterns for Artistic Purposes”. We used very fine needles to make precise punctures around the barely visible eyespots of the pupal, with the intention to change the final pattern of the wing.

Image nr.3 shows one of the caterpillars Marta brought, image nr.4 shows a pupal just after it was punctured with a needle, image nr.5 shows a cocoon with the wing already quite visible and image nr.6 shows a detail of the wing of a Bicyclus anynana.

Read Full Post »

This one reminds me of the mastercard logo. I’ll post some more pics tomorrow.

Read Full Post »

Older Posts »